Lutando Ngqakaza – Senior Cloud Engineer
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer in various industries.
- High aptitute and affinity for ASP.NET Core and Microsoft based stacks.
- Backend end skill-set with a broad practical knowledge about front end web.
- Open source contributor and library author.
- Languages & Frameworks – C#, ASP.NET Core, Akka.NET.
- Protocols & APIs – REST, OAuth2.0, OpenID Connect.
- Databases – PostgreSQL, CosmosDB, MicrosoftSQL.
- Tools & Platforms – Microsoft Azure, Azure Dev Ops, Kubernetes, Git, Google Cloud Platform.
- Practices & Processes – Domain Driven Design, CQRS, Event Sourcing, Technical Writing and Documentation.
- Methodology – Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Test Driven Development, Extreme Programming.
- Other – Research & Development, Technical Writing.
Redeploy, Stockholm, Sweden
Senior Cloud Developer
July 2017 – Present
- Architect, develop, and deliver solutions to clients with a tight focus on the Azure ecosystem.
- Implement CI/CD strategies and policies (mostly) on Azure Dev Ops.
- Work with clients to realise their goals in the cloud.
- Integrate internal customer services with external 3rd party services.
- Assist in business development and technology selection within the business.
June 2018 – Present
- Main developer and author of Akkatecture. A CQRS, and event sourcing framework built ontop of akka.net.
- Engage with the community about problems or ideas.
- Groom project backlog and prioritize features.
Record Union, Stockholm, Sweden
July 2017 – June 2019
- Core developer responsible for developing the platform's API.
- Translate business requirements into testable and maintainable software using industry leading domain driven design patterns to deliver business value.
- Support and communicate API semantics and behaviours to API consumers.
- Fascilitate the continuous integration & delivery of the platform API using Azure Dev ops deployed onto kubernetes.
- Maintain and iterate on observability metrics to be shown on dashboards.
WhereIsMyTransport, Cape Town, South Africa
Senior Engineer / Technical Lead
April 2014 – June 2017
- Lead a team for the web token service team. Based on IdentityServer4’s OAuth & OpenIdConnect capabilities. This service enables external parties to consume various WhereIsMyTransport APIs using modern web security idioms.
- Developed, and led the building of a scalable system based on the actor model that modelled transit networks.
Amazon Web Services, Cape Town, South Africa
Software Developer Engineer Intern
December 2012 – February 2013
- Worked within the EC2 UX team as a backend developer to support the UX team.
- Implemented an application that allows instance owners to apply metadata to instance types within EC2.
- As an SDE I learned about the fundamental basics of the SDLC at scale and how each team at AWS functions
The University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Part Time Tutor & Teaching Assistant
July 2016 – February 2017
- Tutored students in computer science topics; generally around object oriented programming and data structures.
- Served as a teaching assistant for a CS101 course in 2013. This required marking papers/examinations, advising students, and doing student support for course queries.
BrandsEye, Cape Town, South Africa
Software Developer Intern
April 2016 – July 2016
- Worked on a set of machine learning classiers used to discern human sentiment written in Groovy.
- Improved the set of classifiers in a positive direction and this led to higher accuracy in the services that consumed the classifiers. Which in turn led to better data for the business to make dicisions on.
Quirk, Cape Town, South Africa
Software Engineer Intern
June 2011 – July 2011
- Created a service using image processing libraries in C++ (OpenCV) to do real-time object detection in live/streaming video.
- This service used haar classifiers and tha haar cascade detection algorithm to do this.
- In operation, the service would emit detection events to consumers(s) that would alert subscribers if certain objects were detected on live television, in this project, the objects were brands.
- This solved an issue in which brands could quantify how many times their logo had been seen in a particular time frame on a particular network channel.
references available upon request
University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
M.Sc. in Computer Sciences, September 2014
- Dissertation in IoT Security
- Publication in Springer's LNCS Journal
University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
B.Sc. in Computer Science, December 2012
- Majored in Computer Science & Computer Engineering
- Minored in Mathematics
Professional Self Description
I consider myself a highly effective, and competent self starter software engineer who is capable of translating business requirements into testable and maintainable code that can be deployed and run in a production environment. I am a huge team player and happy to learn from colleagues and friends alike. Even though I have a huge passion for the actor model and aspnet core, I always beleive that one should always choose the right tool for the right job. That being said, I find myself at home in the microsoft developer ecosystem at large. I am always up for learning or trying new technologies. I am self driven and work on my own qualities as a software developer, even in my spare time because, for me, software development is actually fun.